Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Ultimate Form of Love

"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing."  - 1 Corinthians 3:13

What is interesting about the word 'love' is that in English all we have is one word.  If I wanted to describe the feelings that I have for my wife, I would say, "I love my wife."  However, I'm limited to using the same word when I am asked to describe what I think about pizza.  "I love pizza."  Obviously, the love I have for my wife and the love I have for pizza are different but I'm limited in the words I can use.  In the Greek language (which the New Testament was written), there are a few different words that we translate as 'love':

"eros" - it is fairly easy to see that the English word 'erotic' was derived from this Greek word for love.  "Eros" refers to sexual love and the arousal feelings that accompany that.  It was commonly used to describe the love of two people who were physically attracted to each other.

"storge"  (pronounced "store-gey") - this refers to familial love, the love that is shared between family members.  This Greek word is not found in the bible.

"philia" - this word was used to describe love that was shared between friends.  Whereas 'eros' deals with a person's libido, 'philia' has to do with feelings of the heart.

"agape" (pronounced "a-ga-pe") - this refers to a type of love that is self-sacrificing.  It is a love that looks out for others with no regard of the personal cost.  This love is able to love even when it is not loved in return.  This love is given not expecting repayment.

In 1 Corinthians chapter 13, Paul uses the Greek word "agape" throughout, which actually makes sense when you read the chapter knowing the Greeks had different words that we translated into 'love'.  Now that you have a sort of scholarly knowledge of this passage, what does it all mean?

Quite simply, Paul is declaring that as Christians, we need to have the "agape" type of love.  No matter what spiritual gifts we are blessed with, if we do not have "agape" then we are missing the point of those gifts.  What is the point of having knowledge if you can't share it in love?  What is the point of having complete faith if you can't express it in love?

Jesus Christ was the ultimate form of "agape" love.  Because He loved you with an "agape" love, He sacrificed His life on the cross so that you could have eternal life with Him.  To drive the point of "agape" love even further, Christ died knowing that some people would reject that love but He chose to die anyway.  That is the ultimate love.  If you haven't chosen to experience the "agape" love of Christ, I would encourage you to do so.

As for Christians, we must have an "agape" love for people.  I know it is not easy and there are people who don't always seem deserving of "agape" love but we must do it anyway.  Christ commands us to in Luke 6:35.  Jesus says, "Love your enemies".  Guess what Greek word is used for "love" in this passage?  That's right, "agape".  We must love everyone, even our enemies, with "agape" love.

1 Corinthians chapter 13 is quoted has become a go-to piece of scripture whenever Christians try to define and describe what love is.

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

My challenge to you is to take out the word "love" and replace it with your name.  Does it describe you?

"[insert name here] suffers long and is kind; [insert name here] does not envy; [insert name here] does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

After replacing "love" with your name, does it describe you?  If you are like me, it doesn't but I will continue to try to love with an "agape" type of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment